[xcrysden] Running XCrySDen

Gavin Abo gabo13279 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 06:35:32 CEST 2024

The issue might be because the version of Fedora that you are using does
not have the operating system library that it needs to load ftnunit.
Thus, the "error while loading" error.

What is the Fedora version?  The xcrysden-1.5.60-bin-semishared worked
with around Fedora versions 25 to 27.

With Fedora 34, xcrysden 1.6.2 was used, but it had to be compiled.

The compile steps used were given the post at:

http://www.democritos.it/pipermail/xcrysden/2021-April/002050.html

At https://fedoraproject.org , I see that Fedora is now at version 40.
I've not tried XCrySDen 1.6.2 with that version if that is what you are
using.

With some other code packages, I have seen some GNU compiler
compatibility issues encountered with newer Linux distributions that
release with gcc/g++ version 13.  With Ubuntu 24.04 LTS that comes
with gcc/g++ version 13, though, I was able to fall back as a workaround
(while waiting to see if the code developers would provide new versions
with code changes for working with the newer compilers) for example by
installing a g++ version 10 package using "sudo apt install g++-10".
Don't know yet if there are any issues compiling XCrySDen 1.6.2 with the
latest gcc versions or if Fedora has a similar fall back package that
can be installed like Ubuntu.

Kind Regards,

Gavin

XCrySDen user